Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

repaints!?

+3
Toxziq
theblackabbot
BoDoM
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

repaints!? - Page 2 Empty Re: repaints!?

Post  BoDoM Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:30 pm

I had my first sculpting experience today. I did the totem I was talking about. I modeled it after the art from the wavestorm totem card from the tcg. I did it in 5 pieces and am now waiting for them to harden. I think it's going to turn out decent for my first attempt. I'm gonna put it on my mojo shaper ojomon repaint and finish off the base. Pictures soon!
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  unpluggamer Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 am

yes! having totems will greatly enrich the vision of the mojo... sculpting, wow !!! (o.o)
unpluggamer
unpluggamer

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 am

I'm excited to see how it turns out once it's assembled and painted myself lol. Wow minis is the first miniatures game I ever got into, but i'm trying to immerse myself in all aspects of miniature gaming now. Playing, painting, sculpting and basing/terrain building. I'm really having a blast so far. Soon I'll delve into painting different miniatures. I think my first thing outside of wow will be the lord of the rings miniatures.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 pm

I've been really busy lately with a wedding and work, but today I'll be resuming all of my painting projects. It should be very soon that new pictures go up! Hopefully 4 new figures, fully based and all that. Perhaps even my first attempt at an epic, as I have an extra thrall around.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  unpluggamer Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

cannot wait to see them cherry
unpluggamer
unpluggamer

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 pm

I finished another timmo shadestep and a marlowe Christophers today. I'm really starting to get a solid basing technique down. Hopefully I'll be posting pics soon. Maybe I'll just take some crappy cell phone pictures and post them as teasers lol.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:48 pm

I was hoping to log on today and see a bunch of new posts, because Saturday seems to be the day to people to log on and share their thoughts. Oh well, maybe someone will have something to say next week lol. Anyway, hello to everyone for this week and hopefully some news will break soon.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:49 pm

So I finished painting the worm corpse today. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with the base for now. I do however think he'll make a great ghoul for use with our new death knights. It doesn't look like the classic wow ghoul, but he is an evil, rotting, worm ridden corpse that is definitely to my liking.

This guy was my first venture into non wow minis. He's made by reaper, but is perfectly scaled for our uses. I was definitely impressed with the level of detail. I really think it rivals the level of detail in wow minis. It was quite a challenge to figure out the color scheme though. Repainting a mini is a lot easier that going from primer white. I know I've been saying this for a while now, but I really will get pictures up soon.

Until next time...
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:31 pm

I finished Elizabetha cairnwillow today. I was stumped on what to do to her for a while. She probably say around half finished for a couple months lol. I just eneded up doing the basic purple warlock color scheme I guess you could say, then I put some shrubs around her along with some of Victoria jaton's body parts lol. It turned out decent. I can't wait until I post a whole slew of new pictures.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  unpluggamer Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Cool man, I really like how you sdescribe the process.I also will soon finish my next customize minis article.
unpluggamer
unpluggamer

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:09 pm

As much as it irks me, I posted some cell phone pictures just to show what I've been up to. Here's the link:

https://m1000.photobucket.com/albums/blaze1337_photos/?o=0&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2cOXn%2Fgpg%2BK1Fs8Abz8CeQfXjCk6lqcBjIZQwmiu2vziB%2FfgnPV4cYHgaH5sEqI3ckNunupEOkBizAvVHJdQHvaubGUjPNc1wEINp21oeZnBLzZfy6dtIABTlZPDCX9j80LtARPBhveIEBFgoflOhcq3lg14R3wtKA%3D%3D

I still have to base the worm corpse, but I wanted you guys to see it. Once again, sorry about the bad photos.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  unpluggamer Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Man they are hella impressive. The scourge of reaper have a good scale. I totally forgot Elizabetha and her sword cairnwillow until now because of the bad painting job. The base of Marlowe is really good too. I never make base for my dudes bc I worry they will stand out to much when playing with the rest of others, but I may need to think again now.
unpluggamer
unpluggamer

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for taking a look man. I never used to do anything with the bases either, then I came to realize that a little bit of work on the base can totally bring a miniature to life. Now I don't call a project complete until I add terrain to the base and paint the ring.

It does look a bit out of place with only one base decorated, but if you do the whole team...
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

repaints!? - Page 2 Empty bodom's basing basics!

Post  BoDoM Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 pm

So here we go... My first ever attempt at any sort of tutorial.

There are many things you can use to create terrain on the base of your miniature. I'll just be talking about the things that I use. Hopefully this will be of some help to someone, then this will have not been for nothing!

I mainly use GW modeling sand for my basic groundwork. To apply it to the base, I use a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and GW graveyard earth paint. You can use just glue, but it's rather hard to spread on the base by itself. Plus if you color the glue, any spaces that doesn't get sand on it will still look earthy!

So after you spread your paint/glue mixture on the base, generously sprinkle your modeling sand over the base. Once you've done this, immediately flip the whole miniature over and all the excess sand will fall away. If you do this over a paper towel or something you can collect the excess and use it again, thus making your expensive modeling sand go much further.

Static grass works great for bases, but I recommend using it in small patches, because it doesn't seem to cover large areas that well.

To apply the static grass, first place small areas of PVA glue over your modeling sand. Next shake the container of static grass which will charge it with static electricity. Then apply it liberally over the PVA glue and press on it gently. Next flip over the miniature to make the excess static grass fall away. Gently blow on the grass patches to make it stand on end in the glue. Let the glue dry before continuing on.

So I've found adding rocks and shrubbery also make a base look great. First we'll talk about shrubbery.

I use reindeer moss which I picked up at a local craft store. It ran about 3 bucks and the bag is big enough to base literally hundreds of miniatures. It's also very easy to work with. Just cut a piece off and super glue it to your modeling sand on the base. If you want you can dry brush it different colors.

Finally we come to rocks. You can use real rocks, but I prefer to use cork. You can shape it how you want and every time you drink a bottle of wine you have enough cork to do at least a dozen bases.

I recommend super gluing the cork to the base before you apply sand. It looks more realistic that way. Once you've glued the cork on, base coat it in black. Next give it a decent dry brushing in codex gray. Then give it a lighter dry brush in fortress gray. Finally give it a light dry brush with skull white. I prefer to not clean my brush between the dry brushings. It gives a more marble look to your fake rock lol.

Well I hope everyone enjoys this extra long post and it helps some.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowmire Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:19 pm

glad to see some repaints for wow minis, I've been trying to find some since I got my first models, but few people seem to repaint their own.

I'm also doing bases for mine, but I actually noticed it's good to cut the model of from it's base(with sharp modelling knife it's easy) and level it slightly higher and reposition it in the base(use modelling putty to create a higher point to the base and pin your model there).
I've noticed some of the models are too near the edge of the base so you'll get more space to play around with the stuff you're adding to the base.
Also, I tend to remove the factory paint before painting, so that's easier when you don't have to dip the base in the paintremoval liquid of your choise.

Paintjob looks good, only I'd hope some bigger pics.

keep up the good work!

Crowmire

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for taking a look man. The latest set of pics are the small ones. The ones in the rest of the albums are larger. I tend to leave the mini where it is because it preserves some of the original state. But to each their own, am I right?
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Shadestep Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm

I sure would like to see a Timmo repaint if anyone has done one. ;-)
Back to the shadows until then though... Suspect
Mr. Shadestep
Mr. Shadestep

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Well shade,
You'll see one soon enough lol. I kept the metallics on him to a minimum though. Leather should not shine!
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Well after a couple weeks of not painting due to no free time I started a repaint on morova today. She's looking a little darker than she used to, so i'm calling her morova of the stars.

Pictures coming as soon as I finish her up.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 pm

so i finished the repaint that i have dubbed morova of the stars. i'm going to try and put pictures in this post but i have to figure out how lol.

repaints!? - Page 2 09061015

repaints!? - Page 2 09061016

repaints!? - Page 2 09061017

repaints!? - Page 2 09061018

ok i figured out how to post the pictures lol. now i'm just going to have to figure out how to resize them. well at least everyone can get a good view lol. Twisted Evil
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  Toxziq Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Dude, that is excellent work! Bravo!
Toxziq
Toxziq
Admin

http://www.critshappen.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks man! And thank you for giving me somewhere to display it! Hopefully put up another one next week.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:32 pm

so ever since i started repainting wow minis, i've always thought about when i would get up the nerve to repaint an epic. for the longest time, the only spare epic i had was thrall and i just wasn't thrilled with the prospect of repainting him, because well, he just doesn't look that epic lol!

so fast forward a couple months to yesterday, i get home from work and my wife has a box of minis sitting on the table for me. mind you it has been months since i opened a box, and the only reason she got it is because it was on extreme clearance at target. so it's spoils of war, and honestly i've had terrible luck with most of the spoils boxes i've opened. but my luck was about to change. so i open the box and there's cairne bloodhoof staring me in the face screaming "REPAINT ME!". Twisted Evil

so here's my idea: i'm going to take cairne of his base, along with three or four monster or alliance minis (i haven't decided which yet). i'm going to make an extra large base and position cairne in the middle. i'm going to surround him with enemies and make a nice scene out of it. lots of terrain. lots of repainting. hopefully the most grandiose display of repainted wow miniatures ever to be displayed on the internet (unless there's some i haven't seen, but i've done my fair share of searching for inspiration). Shocked
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 pm

so i guess i'm going alliance with the project. it just turns out that i have alot more alliance minis that i have yet to repaint than monsters. right now it looks like it's going to be timmo, moonshadow, and zaritha versus cairne bloodhoof in a fully repainted scene i'm tentatively titling "sent packing!".

i wanted to say that if anyone has any ideas or suggestions i can incorporate into this let me know. i really enjoy bringing people's vision to life!
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  BoDoM Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

So sorry to say I have to put all of my minis projects on hold for a while. I got a new job that is 60+ hours a week, so I'll have even less free time than I had before. I'll still be putting some time into minis, but it will be far less than I have been.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback so far and hopefully the next time I post it will be some pictures.
BoDoM
BoDoM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum